TEPCO has announced a two phase plan to stabilize the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.
Phase One - 3 months
- build new cooling systems outside Units 1 and 3 to cool down fuel
- patch the damaged section of Unit 2 reactor to contain radioactivity leakage
Phase Two - 3 to 6 months
- lower the temperature of the nuclear fuel in all reactors to below 100o Celsius
- cover the reactor buildings with giant covers with filters to prevent the release of radioactive substances into the air.
- set up equipment to purify contaminated water in tanks and other facilities.
- increase the number of monitoring points within the government-set evacuation areas
- neutralize the radioactive substances in soil and on buildings in the evacuation areas